Dear Cycling Enthusiasts, Bicycle Racing Fans, Prospective Donors and Volunteers,
Tickets have been released for a red carpet premiere screening of “Cheetah: The Nelson Vails Story” at the beautiful Crest Theater on Saturday, May 10th, the evening before the opening stage of the Amgen Tour of California. Nelson will be in attendance , Lagunitas Brewing Co will be featured in the no-host snack bar, and the Harley White Jr. Trio will play in the lobby from 6-7:00 PM! Please mark your calendar and look for updates and details regarding other SVVA/Tour of California weekend activities to be released soon! Proceeds will benefit the Sacramento Valley Velodrome Association.
Over the last couple of decades bicycle racing, and to a large degree recreational cycling, has become cost prohibitive to those of us with little to no disposable income. Building a community based cycling center where folks can throw their leg over a $200 rental bike will bring cycling back to the people. We can’t think of a better spokesman to this cause than Nelson Vails.
The Sacramento Valley Velodrome Association (SVVA) was incorporated in 2011 as a California non-profit and enjoys tax-free status under IRS code 501c(3). It was established to build a national competition quality bicycle racetrack, or velodrome, in the Sacramento area. The facility will provide opportunities to train and develop youth for bicycle racing, competitive events to generate tourism activity and recreational events to promote fitness among the community. Importantly, the velodrome provides a safe and controlled environment for youth and families. To date, SVVA has gained the support of Sacramento City District 6 Councilman Kevin McCarty, the Sacramento Parks Department, and Separovich/Domich Real Estate Development and is moving forward with a plan to build at Granite Regional Park.
Furthermore SVVA will…
• Create an inclusive, inspirational, and empowering youth program to build strong bodies and strong minds with an emphasis on underserved teens;
• Develop programs where beginner, intermediate, elite, and para-cycling athletes of all ages can enhance physical health, build personal character, and gain self-awareness;
• Provide solid leadership and track management through commitment to excellence and exemplary governance and business policies;
• Establish comprehensive coaches training to ensure services of the highest standard for leadership, fair play, and integrity in sport;
• Implement comprehensive risk management policies and guidelines to ensure the best practices for safety;
• Leverage the exciting action of track racing to build a large following of spectators and ensure grandstands with every seat occupied.
Thank you for your consideration and support!